Bike Servicing and Repairs Workshop
Moonglu operate a well respected bike servicing and repair workshop. With a combined experience of over 30 years between shop owner Neil and workshop manager Mark we are well placed to deal with most bikes. Servicing and repair work is carried out on site at Moonglu's shop in Blossomgate, Ripon.
We are a respected shop with a reputation for efficient and high quality work. In most cases we will only use genuine or high quality replacement or parts. It is our opinion that our work should be noticed in the performance change in the bike after it has left our workshop. We both ride bikes a lot and it is through riding that we understand the mechanics of how a bike should be. Don't put up with poor gears, get them looked at, chances are it may only need a cable swap.
Our workshop is not restricted by brand. Although we proudly display a Giant Bikes sign outside the shop, we are able to work on almost any brand of bike, old or new, good condition or bad, road, mountain or hybrid. So if you have a Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Scott or one of the many other bike brands out there, we can service or repair without prejudice.
Our most common daily job in the workshop is Regular or Basic Services, these are perfect for most modern road, mountain and hybrid bikes. In a regular service we check the following:
- Check and adjust gears including wear and condition of chain, chainrings, cassette and jockey wheels.
- Check and adjust brakes including condition of brake pads.
- Check and adjust all nuts and bolts including stem bolts, derailleur bolts, crank bolts.
- Check and adjust headset
- Check and adjust bottom bracket
- Check and adjust cup and cone style hubs
- Check and true front and rear wheels.
- Check tyre pressure.
- A full visual inspection of the bike.
- Check gear and brake cables and grease/lube where necessary
Cost = £40
Please Note: A regular service includes the check and adjusting of the parts detailed above. If possible we will do an initial inspection of the bike when it is dropped off, usually we can spot worn parts at the point and ask permission to replace. If additional, no agreed service parts are required we will contact the customer to advise and gain permission to replace these parts. There may be an additional time charge for the fitting of extra none service parts, this will be charged on a time charge basis.
We don't offer various service options, our regular service above covers most items and anytime beyond this will probably fall into the options below.
With a skilled and experienced workforce and a very well equipped workshop we are able to complete the following work.
- Wheel Building including road, mountain and hybrid wheels.
- Damage reports for insurance after accidents - there may be a fee for this work.
- Shimano Electronic Gear Di2 Firmware upgrading and error checking.
- Hub servicing and bearing replacement on brands such as Hope, DT Swiss, Superstar.
- Internal gear and brake routing.
- Dropper post installation such as Rock Shox Reverb Stealth and Thomson Covert.
- Handlebar re-taping on road bikes.
- Hub servicing and repair on cup and cone hubs such as Shimano.
- Rohloff Speedhub servicing including transmission fluid replacement.
- Suspension frame pivot bearing replacement.
- Rear Shock Bush replacement.
- Brake servicing including most brands of hydraulic disc brakes such as Hope Technology, Shimano, Avid and Tektro
- Bottom bracket reaming and facing
- Head tube reaming and facing
The options detailed above will be charged out based on time charge. Please contact us in advance if you need a quotation for a specific workshop job.
Suspension Fork Servicing
Moonglu are able to carry out lower leg services on all model year Fox Suspension forks and all SRAM Rock Shox forks. Lower leg services include the removal of fork lowers, wiper seal removal and a lower leg clean. Brand new wiper seals are then fitted and the forks rebuilt with new suspension fluid. We use genuine Fox or Rock Shox service parts and the manufacturer recommended suspension fluid.This work is carried out by Mark in our workshop.
- Fox 32mm Forks = £66
- Fox 34mm Forks = £66
- Fox 36mm Forks = £76
- Fox 40mm Forks = £76
- Rock Shox Forks = Please call
Please Note: Our fork services are lower leg services not fork repair. If during the course of a service we find any broken or worn internal parts we may advise the forks be sent to the designated Fox or Rock Shox UK Service centres.
Subject to seal availability we should also be able to carry out lower leg services on Magura 32mm and 35mm suspension forks and some Marzocchi forks. Unfortunately due to lack of service parts we are no longer able to work on Manitou, Pace, DT Swiss or pre SRAM Rock Shox forks.
Rear Air Shock Servicing
Moonglu are able to carry out air can services and air sleeve seal replacement on Fox Float and DHX Air Rear shocks. We cannot do similar work on X-Fusion, Manitou or Rock Shox rear shock units and we advise that any coil shocks be sent to the designated UK service centre.
- Fitted to the bike = £45
- Brought in separate = £35
Customer Notice: Fork and Rear Shock Servicing can be carried out in addition to a regular service or as separate items. If you would like your forks/shock servicing as part of a service please advise us at the time of booking as we will need to allocate enough workshop time to complete this work. For separate fork/shock servicing we are usually able to take these on an adhoc basis, but please be aware that during peak times ie summer we will fit them in and it may take 48-72hrs to complete the services. For space reasons in the shop we would prefer that forks and shocks are removed from the bike.
Moonglu operate a booking in system for all workshop work. Please contact the shop by phone on 01765 601106 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking. We will do our best to book bikes in at the earliest convenient time but please be aware that during the summer months our waiting list can extend to 3 weeks. Bike servicing and repair work is a big part of our business, we treat our work very seriously and endeavour to treat our customer's bikes with the utmost respect, detail and good customer experience is everything to us.
In order to complete servicing work to a high level we politely request that customers make sure that bikes are clean before they are brought into the workshop. It is difficult to carry out the necessary level of work on mud soiled bikes.